Does anyone else feel like Monday is useless, especially when you have a Fibromyalgia flare? I felt like I had been flattened by a steamroller. So, today I plan to restart my week on a better note! Without further ado, here’s my list!
01. One of my dearest colleagues gave us all a scare over the weekend. She was struck by a vehicle while walking home; I heard the emergency vehicles rush straight past my apartment building, but never would have thought it was for someone I know! After being hospitalized, she’s been released to go home and let her injuries heal (you hear that, dearest? Sit down, read a book, and heal!!!). We all breathed a huge sigh of relief when we heard she’s going to heal just fine. Definitely a lovely thing!
02. Susan Dennard’s Truthwitch series is amazing! It definitely looks like I’m on my way out of my no-reading rut! The story so far follows two skilled fighters, Safiya and Iseult, who seem like they are constantly in the middle of something. They both have troubled pasts, but their lives are about to get dangerously complicated (I swear I haven’t read the end…much).
Check out Dennard’s website that has some very lovely extras (like my new favorite list that will teach you “How to Swear like Safiya fon Hasstrel“), and might even convince you to march into your local library and check it out!
03. Speaking of stories, I’ve been looking for specific inspiration dealing with the Steampunk genre. One of my upcoming library programs encourages kids to work with 3D printed gears to create something new. Of course, I went to Pinterest. But, look at what I found! An unknown patron dropped off a box of books, some of which were printed around the early 1900s. My uneasiness about this challenge just evaporated!
04. The page assigned to said program has experience with cosplay, so we’re also going to be learning a bit about making costume accessories. I stumbled upon Steampunk hip bags and I’m now obsessed with them. Upcycling one of Husband’s Army uniforms into a cyberpunk hip bag is now on my list of things I must sew. Here’s the tutorial I’ll probably use (with a few tweaks, of course).
05. Clementine Creative has me hooked. Her printables are just what I need! If you’re a planner addict, check out her archive!
06. I have a slew of tunics I don’t wear often because of their shorter length. Why I never thought of sewing a simple shirt extender is beyond me. There are literally tons of tutorials out there, but I might just go off the map and make my own pattern!
07. Whenever I see anything related to Van Gogh, I immediately think of the saddest Doctor Who episodes ever. This week, he’s reminding me who I work for and why. These kiddos deserve the world, and that’s what I believe I was put on this planet to do.
08. The web just keeps feeding my love of space related anything. Pinterest suggested I pin the poem on the right…and I did.
09. Jess Levitz at June Letters took on a project back in 2014 that I’ve just recently stumbled upon. For three months, she challenged herself to make an inspiration board every day. One of her goals was to “seek out new and intriguing inspiration beyond the internet.” It’s a good reminder to unplug once in awhile!
10. Last week, my boss came upstairs to my department. Let’s just say she was not happy that my desk area looked like a hoarders starter kit. Having no place for storage leaves me stacking cardboard and poster paper and boxes of stuff behind my desk. This means I’m on the hunt for new storage solutions; I stumbled upon this rolling, lockable tool cart…I’m in love. How do you organize your craft materials and tools?
Later today, I’ll be sharing my favorite calligraphy and brush font artists, and some rockin’ tools! Watch for it!